Volunteers spring the success of our community
by Vince Prasad
I am quite IN AGREEMENT with that statement .It is my passion to help and I am so thankful for this opportunity.
The lower mainland is blessed with mixed neighborhoods and is comprised of people from all walks of life – Somewhat like the United Nations as individuals who have immigrated to Canada for a better life for themselves and their children. Just like the early settlers who came to various regions in the 1600’s, 1700’s and 1800’s because they were looking for a place to live and raise their family.
Volunteering is a Canadian tradition and is an extension of being a good neighbor and there are many reasons why I make time to volunteer.
We have many new immigrants settled in our community, raising their families and experiencing new life in Canada.
It is truly a privilege for me to be able to welcome and help our new neighbours.
A great way to use my talents and experience acquired through Public service.
We can do this by:
- Not letting an opportunity pass by to say a kind word to people we meet.
- Be genuinely interested in others. The people we meet feel that we regard them as a person of importance.
- We can keep an open mind on all controversial questions and discuss without arguing. It is possible to disagree and be friendly.
- Not to be anxious about our rights and having favours repaid. Let the satisfaction of helping others serve as its own reward.
- It supports the cause I believe in which I stated earlier.
- Gives me an opportunity to make a contribution to society.
- As a retired Federal Public servant I know that experience matters and it provides an opportunity to use valuable skills, to give back to the community, to mentor others and it creates and maintains relationship.
- We can play a vital role in a society and it helps in delivering services and programs that improve and enhance the life of our communities.
- One can experience learning and satisfaction.
- I enjoy social interaction – Meeting new people.
- It gives an opportunity to learn about people, country or community.
- Gives fulfillment and a sense of empathy, connection with a “cause”
- It gives an opportunity to be part of the community where I live.
- It also instills a value of giving and caring.
I ENCOURAGE OTHERS TO JOIN TO STAY ACTIVE IN MIND AND BODY, MAKE CONNECTIONS AND CONTINUE TO LEARN.
April 19, 2018
April 17, 2018
April 16, 2018